August 11, 2020

Collecting memories, and goodbyes..

I made these little folk together, at the same time, even though mostly I was making the one in the little blue dress, for my first friend I ever made in Sicily. She is on her way back home to New York to live again, as we speak!

I made two dolls at the same time, not really thinking of them as being together as such,
But just before I gave the doll to my friend, when I said goodbye, I realised that I had been making me and her! Obvious now, but not at the time..

Although the dolls don't look vaguely like either of us, I am definitely not short, and I dont have long hair, not soes she have curlyish hair or wear little blue dresses, but there is something about them that makes them feel like they are us. They are real friends!

I wrote this on instagram as I had just finished them. Often, the writing is how I figure these little people out...

me:
They are so different these little friends aren't they?
But they're excellent players and imaginers and story tellers, and they've only just met! That's the thing about playing and imagining. It can just start!

reply from someone :
I look forward to hearing about their happy adventures and exciting stories...will they have a blog?


and me again:
Actually the one in blue is emigrating to NY with the first friend I made when I arrived in Sicily. She is leaving and going back to NY. I qm happy for her but i will miss her.. the little dolly in blue is for her. The wild one with notty hair and ill fitting clothes and a bit weird, i guess, must be me!🤣

And here we are!! One again in person, but two in spirit.




 

No comments: