July 23, 2014

Coscienza Sporca! The guilt of the non happening verbs from The Last Outpost of Living in Drawings

A very quick little blog for today.

Ok so the verb experiment from Sunday has not gone quite according to plan. I can real off  - The Little Starting List - of present tense. Here goes, guarda! Io sono, tu sei, lui/lei e, noi siamo, voi siete loro sono... lalalalala...and I understand, sort of, the concept of when they should be used.  But!  I am struggling to make up proper sentences about real life, IN real life.

So I`ve been trying something else. I figured, ok maybe if I learn some more vocab, like collecting lego or crayons, that would be a good start for these illusive 'proper sentences'! and I might feel like there is a tiny bit of weight in my brain of a few more pieces of Italian, that might even be useful one day!

And, you can, after all,  make statements with a noun, babies do it!
Milk. book. bath. mama. Papino, Tata, sleep and so on. [well, Babacino is not QUITE there yet, but I am imagining on his behalf, and he will be there, soon, yikes. The mama is supposed to know more than the baby!! eek! A baby cannot live on crayons alone!]

I have a list from Mr Internet of the supposed 1000 most popular or most used Italian words, and I have lovely colour print outs of them, so, I am doing two things:

I am working through that list, writing down the translations, iether from this -wonderful dictionary full of words AND sentences galore- or ok, there even a few I actually already know!

And then, I am writing down things from stuff I`ve read off the internet for example from an article today
lo sfogo - outlet/ burst
alluinante - scary, amazing, unreal, wild, shocking
aggredita [from agredire] - attack, assault
pugno  - fist [full], punch, handful

and because I like to see and write with my hands, I am hoping something sinks in through the process, even just a word or two a day would help!

AND THEN, because running solves most things in the world, at least for me, then I am running and learning vocab. Also, running is one of the little bits of time when I am not busy doing other things like work and being with mio caro aritto and noi caro piccolo inbetween work, supper time, bath time and bedtime of the little growing scritcholo! and so on. And my priorities are obvious and quite unmovable.

So, yes, running. This might just work! Let us see!

Today I ran to and around the lovely Battersea Park, my favourite lunch time run, because I get to be in greenery and my feet can be on grass and sand, and there are not so many people and there is some space, to rest my eyes after offices and high rise buildings!

So, I took one of my sheets (foglio) of themed nouns, which this time was [some of the] things you find in a home. And then I sort of ran in the park, and read the list trying to memorise the Italian words and say them back to myself whilst running. And no doubt appearing quite strano...  I remember most of them! brava Maureen! there were not many.. small is good. one foot in front of the other.

The only ones I'm battling with are lenzuolo and paralume, oh and tendaggio, but Mauri says tendaggio is quite a grand word for a curtain, referring to rather palestrial type curtains, and normally we'd just use the word `tenda`  - which is also used for the English word tent - tenda da campeggio. Very good to know because for now I am off the hook of learning tendaggio, I can just learn tenda. Sticking to the simple words for now, as that is what Babacino will be learning.

At Battersea Park, there is a childrens Zoo, a gallery, water, and notable trees! and quite a lot more, but not in a crowded sort of way, thank goodness!

And not to mention the fact that its a regular spot for the London Self Transendence Run, organised by the Sri Chimnoy Athletics club.
So, you could say, this park is full of meditative qualities, I hope! which hopefully means the words will meditatively sink into my brain, somehow!!

here is a picture of our post supper table, our computers and my words!

now it is time to dream. buona notte tutti. A domani!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brava, Maureen!!!
Ce la stai proprio mettendo tutta.
Continua così, a lavorare: ogni giorno un poco...