July 25, 2014

THE GERUND. but just the present tense one, and some odds and ends and little pieces of string


Firstly, for today, here is a little video about pieces of string. This is one of my all time favourite songs and videos in the world. I like this concept of pieces of string, it always reminded me of the creative process. We collect little things that jump out of every day life and need to be saved and absorbed and treasured, and one day, maybe,(because it doesn`t alllways happen. It`s not a rule) they'll suddenly find their home and appear in a painting or on a card or a hand made treasure box. They need time to sleep and grow and wander.. 

Maybe it is like that with all the  little bits of Italiano words that I hope I am remembering! or at least they are somehow being stored somewhere somehow to one day be retrieved and properly remembered. Perhaps I mustnt worry about which words are the most important, which grammar "thing" is the most urgent etc etc and rather just collect little shiny pieces of string!
Like:  "tapetto davanti al focolare" It will come in handy one day I am sure!



Let us start:

T
oday Mauri explained `THE GERUND` to me.
I have a great confession to make, which is getting more prevelant by the day in "Opperation Italiano Emmersion", and that is this:
I know almost NO English Grammar, never mind Italian!
So, every time Mauri explains a new little Ìtalian "thing" to me, he has to start with a `little` English grammar lesson.. followed by then trying to explain and "translate"into Italiano which is extremely challenging, mostly because Italiano is a visual feeling sort of language, where as English is a more practical doing language. Often in Italiano, you have to decide which word or rule to apply based on "if it sounds nice or right" sort of thing.  I find it completely fascinating and I find myself wishing to remember every little word and expression, but alas.. but it is quite hard! 
So I am getting double grammar lessons now. Goodness knows how I passed English in high school, not having an ounce of learned grammar in my brain!!


THE GERUND (present tense only for now)

The Gerund in Italian is not exactly the same as the Gerund in English. In English we say:
I am singing. we are running. you are walking. Its the "ing" words.

So, very simply, as a introduction: In Italiano, we turn a verb into an "ing" verb, like this:

Verbs ending in ARE, change their ending to ANDO
Verbs ending in IRE or ERE, change their ending to ENDO

Then, to use the verb, you have to include the verb STARE (to be, to stay) before the "ing" (ANDO-ENDO) word:

(Io) sto               I am
(Tu) stai                  You are
(Lui-Lei) sta           He She is
(Noi) stiamo          We are
(Voi) statte            You pl are
(Loro) stanno     They, these are

Per Essempio:

Leggere       Stai leggendo           You are reading
Mangiare      Sta Mangiando           He She is eating

Dormire       Stanno Dormendo         They are sleeping
Fare          Sto Facendo             I am doing, making
Ascoltare     Stiamo Ascoltando       We are listening  
Aprire        Loro aprendo            They are opening
Capire        Sto Capendo             I am understanding
Andare        Stiamo Andando          We are going
Provare       Statte Provando         You (pl)are trying
Aspettare     Stai Aspettando         You are waiting, lingering
Lavorare      Loro Lavorando          They are working
Abitare       Stiamo Abitando         We are living/dwelling
Girare        Sto Girando             I am turning/twisting/ going around
Cantare       Stiamo Cantando         We are singing
Guardare      Stanno Guardando        They are looking/watching
Insegnare     Statte Insgnando        You (pl)are teaching
Crescere      Sta Crescendo           He she is growing
Chiamare      Stanno Chiamando        They are calling
Correre       Sto Correndo            I am running
Comprare      Stai Comprando          You are buying
Smettere      Sta Smettendo           He/she is stopping, quitting, interrupting
Sentire       Stiammo Sentendo        We are hearing/sensing/feeling
Uscire        Statte Uscendo          You (pl)are leaving/exiting/spilling over
Ricordare     Sto Ricordando          I am remembering
Avere         Sto Avendo              Having... 


Ok, so the difference between the Italiano Gerund and the English Gerund IS, as I understand it.
In English, you can make a statement like, I am singing, I am running, I am listening.
But in Italian, there should be two sentences, using the SAME subject but where one is dependent on the other.
Per Essempio:
Mangiando la pasta mi sono accorta che era cruda
- While eating the pasta, I realised it was raw
Avendo parlato a lungo, Il voce scompare
- Having spoken for a long time, the voice dissapears
Studiando cosi, passerai l`esame
- Because you are studying, you`ll pass the exam
Facendo cosi arriverai tardi
 If you do that (doing that), you`ll arrive late

I`ll add more later... diche Maureen

so basically THE GERUND lets you say things like:
If this, then that / while this, then that / having this, something that ... and so on. Sort of!
and thenn, there is the PAST gerund,  and the PERFECT gerund,  I think, but that is for another day!


Verbs for practising
The Gerund!
Lots of things including THE GERUND
More Gerund things

I must do Bibbs next, we have finished the book! now I must make a collection of the expressions and idioms.
and practice the Gerund!!

Oggi e Sabatto. Stiamo andando giocare!!  ciaooooooo tutti!




No comments: